Friday, April 24, 2009

Planting time


So along with my fondness for chickens and bees along comes another love affair.  As some of you know the new neighbors next door have cattle and I've decided that if I have to smell theirs that I might as well have one of my own for tax purposes.  (We could be tax exempt on most farm supplies, equipment and feed if we have something that could be used for human consumption)  Besides the calves are just sooo cute!

I've done my research and decided on Irish Dexter Cattle as they are a triple purpose breed (milk, meat, and oxen), very small (full grown only come up to an adult humans waist), and are known for their great dispositions as family pets basically that are great milkers (up to 2 gal. per day!).  

Let me now introduce Dandylion.


Oh yes I never can resist putting a face to my research!  She is the first calf at Clover Bell Farm near Nashville, TN.  I am certain a visit is in our near future!  

Meanwhile on the home front Aidan was determined to get his carrots in today.


Brock trying to determine if that is a weed or a plant?  Oh well, better safe than sorry all green things are plucked out!


We also had to have Aunt Meg bring us a emergency packet of carrot seeds as while Aidan and I were preparing the bed Brock was planting the whole seed packet.  In the grass!!

Boys hard at work with the cattle in the background.  Brock can hardly keep away from them most of the time.  The electric fence is not turned on yet but I'm sure the boys will let me know when it is despite my warnings.  : ( 

Brock had fun most of the time just putting the row markers in at random intervals.


My pitiful little tomato seedlings.  I've tried so hard but with the continual gale force winds on our farm they are not very happy hardening off.  After all the emotional turmoil over them I found Cherokee Purple (along with 50 other varieties) at a nursery in Frankfort for $1.50 each.  This will be the last of my seedling efforts!


The funny thing is that Aidan's experimental Atlantic Giant pumpkin planted indoors is doing fine!  


We noticed the other day that we have pumpkins growing!  Come on big one!  Aidan really wants the largest Jack-O-Lantern ever!


Had to include a shot of our kitchen window.  John has been pretty patient with me but did finally ask the other day when things can be moved out of the house.  : )  Our bedroom has been full of tomato flats and we've had numerous helicopters circling the house.  Could have something to do with all the potting soil and peat pots I've bought over the last few months? ; )


John and Brock planting the corn.




Planting the tomato plants.  I had to delete the shot of the boys wailing on each other fighting over who got to hold the plant.  Maybe I should have included that?  These are the moments right?


Trying to beat the sun.  


We made it!  
And to leave off with Aidan's final words as he was patting the last seeds in. 

"Goodnight seeds.  Sleep well in your comfy little beds!"  

1 comment:

Marta Jeremy Emily and Abigail said...

Precious! I hope your garden does well. I'm mourning that we'll be stuck with potted plant gardens for the next three years due to living in a condo... But its better then nothing I guess. This also means that unless we get a little house/lap dog, we'll be waiting on pets for 3 more years as well. SIGH... I guess that we can't have it all all the time right?

Just 3 more days until we have our ultrasound...we're counting them. ;)