Things have been a little busy around here with John's horse show season starting and foaling season in full swing. I thought we might be getting close to done with foaling but then I looked at my list and realized that we are not even half way done yet! Many more sleepless nights but oh how I love it!
Spencer is as ever my constant companion at the barn night or day. I don't know what I'd do without him on the moonless nights when I hear an owl or something making scary noises and I know that it's time for me to do another barn check. What a protector! He has known our vet for 3 years now and he still barks continually at him while he's here like he's never seen him before.
The boys finally got started on my chicken run. It is most of the way finished but we took a break to start on the boys new swing set so have not started on the actual coop. The Kentuckiana Poultry show was May 16th at the Shelby Co. Fair grounds so we went and checked out all the different breeds. Aidan has his heart set on black chickens so after doing a little looking on line we (or rather Aidan & I not John) are interested in Black Javas as they are the original American homestead breed that the Pilgrims brought over. They are on the endangered list due to loss of popularity. All it took was an inquiry on CraigsList and we have located breeders in our area! We are so excited!
Of course there are many small fingers itching to get in there and help with building projects! Brock is big enough to be able to pull the trigger on the drill this year so he thinks he's all grown up!
Our first 2 roosters! I can't believe I haven't thought of this idea to use as a "playpen" before! They thought it was awesome to sit in there and cluck like hens. Aidan calls it "bocking" and so they both go "bock, bock, bock, bock!" I wish I had taken the video camera out with us. John and I were rolling on the ground with laughter!
Here's my man working on the swing set. Doesn't he look just like Hugh Jackman?! ; ) (Just play along with me. He eats it up!)
Our Rhodedendron's have done amazing this year. I think with our soil ph being around neutral adding sulphur really helped them. It's kind of a funny thing to complain about but it really would be handy if the ph was one way or the other. The Internet makes it so easy though and eventually I'll know the soil ph requirement for many plants. I just run around the yard with my sulphur and lime bags and fix them all up!
The baby lettuce is so cute! Hopefully it will be big enough to eat soon. The spinach is big enough to use this week as well so I'm excited about that too.
So far with the potatoes we have only had about 4 Colorado Potato Beetles. I just pick them off and squish them. The other day we noticed that the Lady Bugs have infiltrated the patch and I assume they are eating something that is not supposed to be there. I'm hoping it's Colorado beetle eggs. After taking this pic Aidan noticed another small Lady right below the large one in the foreground. Kind of like Where's Waldo with Lady Bugs. : )
Another testament to soil amendments. All it took was a little sulphur and the blueberries have gone to town! I'll be curious if they actually remain on the bush until they ripen as Brock really likes to finger them.
Here's the cool swing set! We put it right between the garden and the house so that when I'm working in the back yard if they boys get tired of helping they have their area to play near by as well.

A new addition that arrived this last week. Her barn name is Lilly and she is no bigger than a flea but oh so cute!

Our other colt Tommy Gun has grown quite big and wonders why the other mom won't let the little filly rough house yet! Just last night they started running around together and it is the cutest thing to watch from the front window of the house.
Brock watching the babies from as high up on the fence as he can possibly climb of course.
The little speed demons cruising the farm.
John and the boys got me a beautiful Nearly Wild Rose for Mother's Day. It is covered in blooms and smells so good. John met a lady in the horse business that supposedly has the best rose garden in Ky. I can't wait to see her place sometime! I would love to have a rose garden like my Nana's in Seattle but alas the weather is not the same here so I need to find someone local to give me some tips. : )
Some pretty little blue pansies the boys planted in pots by the back door. You can't hardly look at them without smiling.
Brock has finally determined to take on the challenge of learning to drive. He does pretty well in turtle speed but doesn't quite know how to steer and won't let anyone help him. He just gets out of the Jeep and manhandles it into another direction, hops back in, and floors the gas pedal! Everyone is going to need to watch your legs!
That's really all the big news for now. I had probably wake up Brock since it is 7:00 pm and he is taking a nap. : ( We almost made it without one today but I made the mistake of lying on the bed on the computer and the next thing I knew he was out. I tried to poke him but all I got was a "NNNNNN" so I figured he'd better get a small rest. After all, we're out to the swing set to work and a little man needs his sleep to grow!
No comments:
Post a Comment